By Ashleigh Fielding | posted on March 26, 2020
NAPLAN testing for Year 3, 5, 7 and 9 students across the country has been cancelled due to the widespread disruption caused by the COVID-19 pandemic.
Education Ministers met last Friday and decided the literacy and numeracy test would not take place on the planned May 12 to 22 dates.
The Education Council said the decision had been made to assist school leaders, teachers and support staff focus on the wellbeing of students and continuity of education, including potential online and remote learning.
“Further, the impact of responses to the COVID-19 virus may affect the delivery of NAPLAN testing, including the operation of centralised marking centres and the implications for nationally comparable data if an insufficient number of students are available to do the test,” the Council said.
“All Education Ministers acknowledge and thank all of our school leaders, our teachers and support staff for the essential work they do every day educating our children and young people, particularly during these challenging times.”