Shark gap averted

By Chris Thomson | posted on February 22, 2018

AFTER The Weekender revealed that works on the Middleton Beach jetty would require a month-long, one-metre hole in the Ellen Cove shark net, the City of Albany has abandoned plans to access the jetty by barge.

This week, acting city CEO Michael Cole said contractors would no longer need to lower the shark net to access the jetty.

Mr Cole said the jetty would instead now be accessed from the beach and boardwalk pathway.

As previously reported (Hole in the shark net, February 8), the jetty upgrade will occur from February 19 to March 23.

The original plan was to up- grade the jetty from a barge, which would have required the shark net to be lowered by a metre during the month-long project.

Mr Cole said those plans had changed “after the contractor decided it was more efficient to carry out the works from the beach due to tides and the sand levels around the jetty”.

“Swimmers will now be able to continue to use the swimming enclosure with peace of mind it is secure; however, a 10m exclusion zone around the jetty will still apply,” he assured.

“There will be minimal disruptions to beach access.”

Contractors closed 10 parking bays adjacent to Albany Surf Life Saving Club on Sunday night to allow access for a crane and sea container on the beach on Monday morning to prepare for the project.

The parking bays were re-opened after the sea container and first materials were delivered to the site.

Mr Cole said workers would close the pathway to the Ellen Cove boardwalk for short two-minute intervals about four times a day to facilitate delivery of materials.

“We urge visitors to the area to show patience and observe work site exclusion areas,” he said.

“Signs at Middleton Beach to inform the public of the work will be updated.”