By David Kavanagh | posted on July 5, 2019
EXHIBITS at the National Anzac Centre in Albany are set to be updated after council last week unanimously voted to approve phase one of a refresh of the site.
The $750,000 project is scheduled to begin sometime in the 2019-2020 financial year and will see the centre undergo various upgrades and essential maintenance.
City Executive Director of Community Services Susan Kay said “content loan renewals, an upgrade to the Viewing Hall … as well as the development of a theatrette or gallery for temporary exhibitions” would be among the improvements.
She said the work was needed to ensure Albany remained the “essential landmark for Anzac heritage” and to keep visitors coming back.
“We now have an important opportunity to reinforce our position as the landmark Australian Anzac Museum, evolve with technology, refresh the exhibition to ensure its relevance and continue to attract visitors from all around the globe,” she said.
“Our community priority is to maintain infrastructure and deliver programs that promote Albany’s unique heritage, engender civic pride and leave a lasting memory.”
More than 300,000 people have visited the National Anzac Centre since the $10.2 million facility first opened its doors on November 1, 2014.
The Mount Clarence museum combines multimedia and interactive technology and historical artifacts to tell the story of Anzac soldiers and their families, as well as Albany’s unique
connection to that story.
The town was the last port of call for more than 30,000 men who departed Australia on the first convoy overseas in November 1914.
Ms Kay said funding for the project would be covered by the City’s National Anzac Reserve fund specifically allocated for the museum’s ongoing management and building renewal.