Sea rescue bravery commended

By Grace Jones | posted on August 10, 2017

DENMARK and Peaceful Bay Volunteer Marine Rescue groups have been recognised for their efforts during the search for a missing man at Boat Harbour in April.

They have been jointly nominated for the Volunteer Marine Rescue Awards as a result of their response and search for Jack Bray, which was conducted in some of the worst conditions the groups had experienced.

Denmark VMR president Trent Moore said the efforts made by not only the Denmark and Peaceful Bay VMR members, but also the SES and local police was commendable.

“Everyone was trying to find him,” he said.

“I just really want to thank all the volunteers and emergency services that got out there to help.”

Mr Moore said that the nomination and recognition by Denmark locals was really encouraging for the volunteers.

“It’s really good to be recognised for the work that we do,” he said.

“We do what we do for the safety of watercraft and locals.

“But it’s really encouraging for the boys to be recognised for the service they provide.”

President of the Peaceful Bay VMR Brian Vigus also said that it was great to be acknowledged for their work, and recalled the difficult conditions on the water.

“It was absolutely horrendous,” he said.

“Thankfully we made it back safely and were able to continue the search the next day.”

Mr Moore and Mr Vigus will be attending the Volunteer Marine Services Award at the Perth Convention and Exhibition Centre on September 9.

A Department of Fire and Emergency Services spokesperson said the groups were nominated by Denmark Police and were commended for their ability to respond immediately and work collaboratively to navigate some of the worst conditions either of the groups had ever encountered.
Peaceful Bay VMR group were also recognised for their dedication to remaining prepared throughout the year, despite the small community seeing very few incidents until the inundation of seasonal locals and tourists over summer.

Mr Bray’s body was found at Little Quaram Beach, 3km from where he had entered the water, five days after being washed off rocks during the successful rescue of his girlfriend, who was washed off rocks at Boat Harbour.